Before you begin adding videos to your Outlook messages, please review this information to make sure the criteria for adding video is met. Presently, adding videos to Outlook is only possible if the sender has PoliteMail version 5.0. If you do not meet this criteria, you can still send video thumbnails and link to an outside video by following the steps outlined in this article.
It is possible to Add Video on the Desktop Add-in and with PoliteMail365, but for the best user experience, we recommend using PoliteMail online.
- In order to send a video, a user must have a valid Sender ID. If you do not have a valid Sender ID, please contact your Exchange Administrator for one.
- The video must be hosted on a server that will generate a URL and be accessible by your recipients.
- The video must be in .mp4 format.
- The video can be any size but it is recommended to have a height less than 480px to avoid scrolling on devices with smaller screens.
- Currently, you can only add video to the top of the message.
Steps to Add Video to Outlook
1. Upload the video to a server that will generate a URL and be accessible by your recipients. You can also upload a JPEG of a video thumbnail, or generate a thumbnail from the video. Copy the URL.
2. Open PoliteMail online and click New Email. You can add video at any time during the message composition. For this example, we'll add it first. Click the Add video button. If its not displayed in the toolbar, click the Options menu.
3. Enter in the Video URL and the URL for the thumbnail if applicable. If you want to choose a thumbnail from the video, click Thumbnail from video and scrub through the video until you find an appropriate thumbnail. Click Save and then OK when finished.
4. You will now see your video at the top of the message with the thumbnail you have chosen. You can now compose the remainder of your message.
5. Its recommended to send a PreFlight Test Send to test the message's video content before sending. Go to Send Behavior > PreFlight Test Send and send the message to yourself and anyone else who wants to preview the message before sending.
6. When you message is finished, click the Send button. Your recipients will now receive an email with an embedded video!