What is Social Advocacy?
PoliteMail’s Social Advocacy Feature allows users to add a block of social media icons to messages composed in PoliteMail so recipients can share stories to their own personal social media sites. These social media links can be tracked in near real-time, and the click totals will be displayed on your metrics report. PoliteMail currently allows you to add social media buttons for Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
How to Add Social Advocacy Icons to a PoliteMail Message
It’s important to note that social advocacy icons work by adding hyperlinks to them. For example, you can not add social icons to a template and then send it out with the intention of having your recipients share the template to their social media sites. The social media icons must point to a webpage, document, PDF, social media site, etc. For this example, I want the recipients to be able to share this story of PoliteMail being listed on the Inc. 5000 list. I have already composed the message, added a photo using PoliteMail’s Add Image, and edited the hyperlink to the story online on Inc’s website.
1. Place your cursor where you want the social media icons to go. Then click the Social Advocacy Icon, located in the PoliteMail Ribbon, under the External Tracking Tab.
2. You will then be prompted to add a Source URL. In this case, I’ll be adding a link to PoliteMail’s biography and ranking on the Inc. 5000 site. Click the Create button to complete the process.
3. Now you’ll see the three social media buttons at the bottom of the page. You can also add text to them, such as “Share This Story”
4. You can resize the icon images by clicking on them and dragging the handles that appear.
5. To delete an icon, click on it to select it, right-click, and choose Cut. You could also highlight the icon and then click Delete.
6. The links will activate once you send the email. Now your recipients will be able to share this story on their personal social media sites.
Reading Social Advocacy Metrics
PoliteMail will update in near real-time how many times the link has been shared. Both you and your recipients will be able to see how many people have clicked on each social media link.
Go to PoliteMail > Results > Messages to access the metrics grid. From here, double click on the message to display the message’s metrics.
Scroll to the bottom of the metrics page. You’ll see the social media icons and how many clicks they have received.