From PoliteMail version 19.4.9 onward, Opt-Out and Subscription options are located under the same page. Now your recipients can manage Subscriptions via an optional opt-out footer in PoliteMail messages, giving them greater control on what content they wish to see. Opt-out and opt-in functionality remains the same. If your recipient chooses to Opt-Out, they will be unsubscribed from all future mailings from your organization. However, if they choose to Subscribe, they will be able to select specific mailing lists to subscribe to from lists you enable. Modifying subscription options is only available to Admins.
Enabling Mailing Lists
In order to make your lists available for recipients to subscribe to, you must enable them. Go to PoliteMail > Lists > Mailing Lists. Select the list you want to enable for subscription and click Edit on the far-right column. Under the Subscription column, change No to Yes, and then click Update.
Modifying Your Subscription Page
1. To modify your subscription page, go to PoliteMail > Settings > Subscriptions
2. You’ll see a pull-down menu for Opt-Out and Subscription options. Choose Subscription.
3. From here you can list which subscriber domains are allowed. PoliteMail has security measures in place to ensure only the domains you choose are allowed to subscribe, eliminating SPAM bots that may try and subscribe to your lists.
Once you have chosen domains and have Subscription selected in the pull-down menu, you can begin composing a new message.
Adding Subscriptions to Your Emails
1. There are two ways to add the subscription footer in the email (called the Opt-Out footer). One is under PoliteMail > Settings > Preferences. Checking “Enable Subscription” will put the footer in all tracked email message.
2. The second method adds the footer to individual messages. Once you open a new message and turn tracking on, go to the PoliteMail flag and choose Enable Unsubscribe from the pull-down menu.
3. Once the footer is in your email, you do have the option to change the default text of “Politely Take Me Off Your List.” Simply highlight the text, right-click, and choose Edit Hyperlink.
4. In the Text to Display box, you can change the text to your liking.
5. Your recipients will now see the footer at the bottom of the message. When clicked, the user will be brought to your Subscription page, displaying the lists you have enabled.
6. The user will then be allowed to check or uncheck which lists they want to be subscribed to. Once they do, a confirmation email will be sent to their email address to verify that they had confirmed the sign up. They will then be added to the mailing lists they have signed up for.
Adding Subscription Options to a Website
Once you have enabled your lists for subscriptions, go to the Subscription page. You’ll see a button for Get Subscription URL. Clicking this will open a window with the URL of the subscription page.
You can copy and then add this link to any webpage where you want to give your visitors a chance to subscribe to your mailing lists. It behaves just like any other hyperlink, in which you can right-click on it to change the text to display.